You boffs out there will recognize the pains of providing a quick POC for a customer requirement without developing a fully fledged solution. Ok so here goes. You wanna provide customization to a survey without going full code. For example, in my requirement (Office 365 Implementation), I wanted to add a ‘response’ column to a survey which does not behave like a normal list (naughty naughty!) . This column would store a response to the answer to the survey by means of a workflow on that survey. (There was only one question in the survey as the answers needed to be anonymous and this is near impossible without full code to any list because of the default columns: Created by and Modified by). So the user answers that one question, the workflow kicks off to collect feedback from the manager or approved person who can respond to it, and then the workflow fills the response column of the survey with the response . Simples hey? lol
Ok So here are the cheats for customizing a survey:
Create New View:
- Open the new view page of any list in your SharePoint site, and copy the URL to a notepad.
- Open survey settings page, and from the URL copy the List ID. (List=%7Bxxxxxxxx%2Dxxxx%2Dxxxx%2Dxxxx%2Dxxxxxxxxxxxx%7D).
- Replace the list name to the last of the URL with the survey list name.
Copy the modified URL to a new browser window, and you are done, you will be now in the ‘Create View’ page of your Survey List. Create the view as you wish here……….
Create A New Column:
Same the way you did for survey view, copy the new column page url (/_layouts/fldNew.aspx?ListID)
- Replace the ListID with the survey list ID and you are done.
- In order to perform the modify view of the newly created view as per the steps above, just add your list as a webpart to any SharePoint page.
- In the modify shared webpart option, select the view which you want to edit in the Selected View and select the option ‘Edit the current view’.
As with all hacks, save a copy in case you break anything and regularly back up your servers. If you’re on Office 365, Microsoft got your back!